One thousand years ago the Doomsday Book records the Saxon name of our settlement as Abristentona, and over the years the name gradually developed in Ibberton. The Village nestles in the lee of Bulbarrow Hill. In the early days the dwellings and cultivated land were situated on the lower chalk slopes and greens immediately around and below the church. Evidence of early settlement is found in the terraced slopes on the hillside. A knowledge of drainage and land clearance enabled the community to develop the lower ground where the most part of the village is now sited.
The village has had many owners, the most historically famous was probably Henry V111's wife Catherine Howard, although there is no evidence she actually resided here.
The village hall was originally built in 1892 and first used as a temporary church, serving the parishes of Ibberton and Belchalwell when both churches were in a dilapidated state.
Our pub, The Ibberton (originally 'The New Inn' then 'The Crown Inn'), was built in the 16th century, and was no doubt well attended. However due to a strong Temperance movement in the 1930's, it's custom came from the surrounding villages as locals could not be seen to be frequenting the Ale house!
Thankfully that rule is not applied today!
All are welcome!
St. Eustace Church
The 14th century church is situated on the on the lower slopes of Ibberton Hill from where it overlooks the village. Built between 1380 and 1400. It's clock tower is a First World War Memorial; the names of the fallen are listed on a plate in the porch
The halter path to the church is steep and best suited to climb on foot.
Ibberton Millennium Path
The Millennium paths follow existing rights of way and take various points of interest within the Parish. They carry a special pink way mark and to make the route easier, all stiles have been replaced by Kissing Gates or Pedestrian Gates, donated by generous residents.
Maps to follow the path are available from The Ibberton.